Supplemental Child Care Program
Research tells us that children who start school lacking basic skills have tremendous difficulty catching up, and are at greater risk for eventual school dropout. One key to helping children and youth stay in school and earn a high school diploma is to ensure that they are prepared to be successful academically when they start school. Quality early education experiences increase the likelihood that a child will begin school prepared to be successful. At Childcare Resources, we strive to make quality child care available and affordable to all families who need it.
Childcare Resources is grateful for the funders of SCCP including:
The Childcare Resources' Supplemental Child Care Program (SCCP) assists eligible parents with paying for the cost of child care. Based on a sliding scale related to family size and income, parents pay a portion of the cost of care and Childcare Resources pays a portion.
Families must live in our central Alabama service area of Blount, Jefferson, Shelby and Walker Counties, meet income and work requirements. Parents must need child care for children birth to 5 years old (until eligible to start kindergarten).
Parents can choose from any legally operating child care provider that meets DHR minimum standards and is willing to accept payment from Childcare Resources. Providers must register with Childcare Resources before they can begin receiving payment from Childcare Resources.
For more information on the SCCP program, please see our fact sheet.
Eligibility Requirements for SCCP
A family must meet all five requirements in order to be eligible for SCCP.
Child Care Financial Assistance Eligibility Requirements:
1. Live in our service area - Blount, Jefferson, Shelby or Walker counties.
2. Be employed and working at least 30 hours per week or more (you and your spouse/partner).
3. Not receiving child care assistance from DHR/Child Care Central.
4. Have a child birth to five years of age (until eligible to start kindergarten).
5. According to your family size, fall within our Annual Income Eligibility Scale.
|FAMILY SIZE||SCCP MINIMUM
Definition of Family Size
A family consists of a parent/guardian, his/her spouse, and all their dependent children under 18 years of age (related by blood, marriage, adoption, or guardianship) who reside in the same household.
Determine Annual Income
- Gross income for all family members (regular income, tips, commissions, SSI, SSA, etc.)
- All dividend and interest income.
- All alimony payments.
Apply for SCCP
Complete an Application
- Download application, print and complete
- Call 205-945-0018 or 1-800-822-2734, choose option 1 and request an application to be mailed
- Visit the agency and complete an application
Completed and signed applications must be returned by mail or in person to:
244 West Valley Avenue, Suite 200
Birmingham, AL 35209-3616
Applications will not be accepted by fax machine.
All applications are processed within 30 days of receipt. A family will receive a letter notifying them regarding the status of their application. The letter will indicate one of the following:
- Family is eligible and placed on waiting list
- More information is being requested to determine if family is eligible
- Family is not eligible for assistance
Families are placed on the waiting list in the order their application was received. When a family’s name comes up on the waiting list, a letter will be mailed inviting them to come into the agency for a group interview. At that time, a family will provide documentation to determine eligibility for the program.
Documentation to Provide when Pulled from Waiting List
- Driver’s License or other state issued picture ID for you and your spouse/partner.
- Birth Certificates for you, your spouse/partner and all children under 18.
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse/partner and all children under 18. (If you need a card, visit www.socialsecurity.gov or call 1-800-772-1213).
- Employers' names, addresses and phone numbers for you and your spouse/partner.
- Last four pay check stubs for you and your spouse/partner.
- A copy of most recent W-2, Federal and State tax returns for you and your spouse/partner. (If you need copies, visit www.irs.gov/individual or call 1-800-829-1040 for federal information and/or call 1-334-353-2540, 1-800-558-3912 or 205-733-2740 for state information.)
- Verification of all other family income including SSI, Social Security, Alimony, Pensions, Compensations, Disability, or any other income received by you or any other members of your household.
- Marital status confirmation - legal documentation of divorce, separation or widowhood.
- Name and address of child care provider you plan to use.
- Proof of residency such as current lease, mortgage, property tax, child's school record, or utility bill.
Stories of Change
Childcare Resources is gathering stories from parents about the impact we have had on their family. We would like to hear your story and possibly feature it in an upcoming edition of The Resource, on our website, on social media or in a grant application. Visit the Stories of Change page to learn more and find out how to share your story with us.